Chilocco School
District 1 Teachers
Schools 1904
Teachers & Trustees

Choctaw Nation
Schools

The Choctaws, the first of the five great southern tribes of the United States to be moved to Oklahoma by the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek in 1830. Over 20,000 Choctaws moved on this long journey.

The Choctaw "public school" system was started in 1821 before removal to what became Oklahoma. Immediately upon arrival to the western lands, schools began to spring up. There were Schools in all three Districts in Oklahoma where the Choctaws resided; Pushmataha, Apukshunubbee and Mushulatubbee.

History

The Wheelock Academy  Founded in 1831.

Armstrong Academy  Established in 1843


By 1883 the Choctaw Capitol had moved to Tuskahoma and Armstrong Academy was again used as a boarding school for orphaned Choctaw boys.



The following has been transcribed from microfilm, records available for schools within the Choctaw Nation for the years 1901 and 1904.

Source:  Microfilm # CTN 77 thru CTN 86

Available at the Oklahoma Historical Society
2100 N. Lincoln Blvd
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
405-521-2491

 

 
2002 - 2013 by